The construction of the Baptistery of S. Giovanni began in March 1167 ... More info ›
The construction of the Baptistery of S. Giovanni began in March 1167. The dimensions are considerable: 34 meters high and 20.50 in diameter. The building in Romanesque style has an octagonal plan and is crowned by an elegant gallery. Originally it had 3 doors: to the north, to the south and to the east; the last two were closed in 1592. The north door, which overlooks the square, is framed by a porch with two column-bearing lions, similar to the porch of the adjacent Cathedral. The execution technique of the brick vault has anticipated by about two centuries that of Brunelleschi's dome in Florence.
The light inside filters through a double series of overlapping mullioned windows and from the lamp placed on the top of the dome. In the center stands the large octagonal cistern: a monolithic block of red Verona marble, crowned by a small statue of the Risen Christ. The three altars inside are dedicated to the Madonna Addolorata, to the Crocifisso and to S. Biagio.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cremona Baptistery - Museum of Romanesque Stones of Cathedral, Cremona, Province of Cremona, Lombardy
Visitors are offered the opportunity to visit the Baptistery of S. Giovanni. Started in 1167 it measures 34 meters high and 20.50 in diameter. Octagonal Romanesque building. The execution technique of the vault has anticipated by about two centuries that of Brunelleschi's dome.
Inside it houses the collection of Romanesque stones of the Cathedral, splendid sculptures from the medieval period, testimony to the mastery and faith of past centuries.
Duration: 1 hour